Benefits associated with therapeutic riding:
– Builds strength, confidence, independence and self esteem
– Practice communication (verbal and nonverbal) and connection
– Develop a deeper awareness of overall posture, body and behaviors
– Creates a sense of freedom, mobility and accomplishment
– Growth through goal setting and completion
– Improves attention, focus and sensory integration
– Provides a lifelong sport recreation and exercise activity
Morning, afternoon and weekend times are available.
Scheduling is flexible and ongoing.
Siblings and friends welcome.
$60 for 1 hour
$40 for 30 minutes
We offer private therapeutic riding lessons for individuals with special needs, as well as beginner lessons. Lesson schedules are flexible and set up on an personal basis. Family members, siblings and friends are encouraged to participate.
Typical riding and horsemanship activities:
– Learning horse behavior and safety
– Grooming, saddling and care
– Stable work and feeding
– Leading, groundwork and bonding exercises
– Riding activities such as games, obstacles and figure work
– Forest and stable trail rides
– No previous horse experience required
Before any rider begins lessons, we offer a complimentary meet and greet opportunity so you can see if our program is the right fit for you. Come and meet our horses, instructor and take a tour of the stables before you start. This initial face to face meeting gives us an opportunity to better understand your goals, needs and required level of support. Please note that all students are required to wear a helmet (provided) when participating in our program activities, including this initial meet and greet.
Friendly Horse Riding School offers beginner lessons for all children, including those with special needs. All lessons are private and conducted in a supportive and safe environment. Lesson activities are planned and supervised by a PATH Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor and each rider is evaluated to ensure that lesson activities are appropriate and properly supported. Examples of lesson activities are horseback riding, obstacle and games, groundwork, stable care, horse care, feeding and grooming.
We are located at the Covered Bridge Equestrian Center in Felton, California approximately eight miles east of Santa Cruz. This convenient and family-friendly stable provides a relaxed and retreat atmosphere in a charming forest environment. All available onsite, you can enjoy your lesson in one of the riding rings or meander on horseback along garden paths and shaded forest trails.
Many convenient shopping and restaurants locations are close by.
Parking is available onsite and restrooms are portables.